Bright Horizons / Marin Day Schools
Extended Day Services
Frequently Asked Questions
• When and how do I register my child for E.D.S.? Registration materials are made available each year in early May to all children currently enrolled with E.D.S. and to all families who have registered with the Mill Valley School District to attend Old Mill, Tam Valley, Strawberry Point, Park and Edna Maguire School. When you receive the registration form, mail back or deliver to your E.D.S. center as soon as possible because the programs fill up very quickly. The schedule that you indicate on your registration forms will be to your child’s E.D.S. schedule beginning in the months of August and September.
• Can I change my child’s E.D.S. schedule during the school year? Yes. Schedules are set on a monthly basis. If you want to change your schedule for an upcoming month, a schedule change form can be completed at the center. The change form is to be turned in by the 1st of the month prior to the month that the change is desired. If there is not space on the days that you are requesting, your child’s name will be placed on a waitlist for those days.
• What are the space limitations and how does the waitlist work? The E.D.S. programs fill up quickly. Our space limitations are based upon the state-regulated teacher-child ratios and by the licensed capacities of our centers. If your registration form is received after the program reaches statelicensed capacity, your child’s name will be placed on a waitlist in the order it was received. If you are on the waitlist, the site director will send you confirmation of your child’s schedule along with a waitlist letter. If a space becomes available, your site director will contact you right away. We work very hard to try and accommodate everyone and move people from the waitlist as quickly as we can.
• Who do I call with questions? You can call the E.D.S. center that your child will be attending directly until the last day of school. After the last day and throughout the summer, you can call your center phone number and leave a voicemail. A director will return your call as soon as possible. All directors will be back at their centers one week before school opens for the fall.
• How much does E.D.S. cost and how do I pay? The E.D.S. rate sheet with all fees and schedules for the school year will be included with the registration form available in May. You can check the current fee schedule to get an idea of the range of fees. E.D.S. tuition is billed on a monthly basis, and statements are available on site by the 12th of each month. As a non-profit, E.D.S. is not part of the Mill Valley School District and is supported independently through parent fees and fundraising.
• Is E.D.S. open on days that the elementary schools are closed? Yes, with the exception of legal holidays, E.D.S. remains open full days when the schools are closed. If it is a School Closure of just one or two days a special sign up sheet will be posted at the center. When school is closed for a full week or more, the E.D.S. monthly tuition will be prorated and a sign up sheet for the holidays will made available at your center, and a separate tuition will be due. If there is not sufficient enrollment at a center, the programs may be combined at another center. If this happens you will be notified in advance.
• Do you have a drop-in option? Yes, drop-in care is available. All drop-in’s must be enrolled in E.D.S. prior to attending. The per-visit fee of $35.00 covers a 3 ½ hour afternoon visit to E.D.S. or three before-school visits. There is no hourly drop-in. Drop-in is always dependent upon space availability. Requests for drop-in care should be made at least 24 hours in advance, and drop-in fees are due on the day of the visit.
• Do I need to call E.D.S. on days that my child is sick and/or will not attend? Yes. We expect your child to attend E.D.S. on the days that they are regularly scheduled for unless we hear from a parent. Please always let us know when plans change so that we know your child is safe and we can allow drop-in space for other children.
• Are there other forms to complete after I send in my registration form? After your registration form is processed by your E.D.S. center, you will need to complete and return packet of enrollment forms available on your center website. Before school begins, all families will be mailed a packet including a confirmation statement for the months of August/September and a Bright Horizons Family Guide. Please review all materials thoroughly and return all completed forms promptly. All forms must be received prior to your child attending E.D.S.