Notice and discuss the fractions in your child's world!
- When eating pizza or a pie, count the pieces of an eight-piece pie, 1/8, 2/8, etc.
- Help your child cut her sandwich in half, fourths, thirds.
- Discuss what part of the family she is: if she is one of six members of a family, she is 1/6th of the family.
- Let your child divide the dessert among your family members, i.e. if you have 5 brownies and four people, each person gets 1 and 1/4 of a brownie.
- Include your child when you’re baking something that asks for measurements (1/4 cup, etc.).
Here’s a list of books to read on this topic:
- The Door Bell Rang – Pat Hutchinson
- Eating Fractions – Bruce McMillan
- Half Birthday Party – Charlette Pomeranz
If your child does not show an interest in fractions, wait until another time.