Find an Answer to Your Question
- Where will the center be located?
- What ages will the center serve?
- What will be the hours of operation for the child care center?
- When will the center be open?
- Who is eligible to enroll in the center?
- Can children with special needs enroll in the center?
- Why won't the center be open at the same time we move onto the new campus?
- What is the capacity and ratio per age group?
- Can I stop by and visit my child at the center during the day?
- Is food included in the tuition?
- What curriculum will be used at the center?
- How long can my family stay on the waitlist?
- Can you provide more background on Bright Horizons?
- Can I pay to reserve a space at the center without attending?
- How soon can I enroll my child if on the waitlist?
- How did REI select Bright Horizons?
- Will I receive a tuition credit for time away on vacations?
- How will enrollment spaces be allocated?
- Will the child care center offer enrichment programs?
- Is there a sibling discount?
- How do I enroll my child?
- Is part-time child care available at the center?
- Are online tuition payments accepted?
- How will the center communicate with parents?
- What are the qualities and qualifications of the teaching and care staff?
- What resources does Bright Horizons offer to families?
- What other fees are required?
- What are Bright Horizons’ safety and security policies?
- How are dietary restrictions managed?
- What is Bright Horizons' process on checking the background of their employees?
- Are all staff trained in CPR and First Aid?
- Where can I learn more about other Bright Horizons locations?
- What is the relationship between Bright Horizons and The Partnership for a Healthier America?
What ages will the center serve?
The REI Child Care Center operated by Bright Horizons® will serve 80 children ages 6 weeks through 5 years.
What will be the hours of operation for the child care center?
The center will be open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. It will remain open year-round; closing on the days that REI is closed:
• New Year’s Day
• MLK Jr. Day
• Presidents Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Friday after Thanksgiving Day
When will the center be open?
The center is expected to open in Q3 2020 contingent upon receipt of an operating license from the state licensor.
Can children with special needs enroll in the center?
Yes, Bright Horizons offers individualized plans for children with special needs to support a wide range of children. Teachers also receive additional training to ensure they are able to provide the best care for each child’s needs. Bright Horizons supports a team approach; the teacher, director, specialists, and parents work closely together to identify and meet every child’s needs through an individualized plan.
Why won't the center be open at the same time we move onto the new campus?
The state licensing agency for child care begins their inspection and licensing after the child care center is constructed. So, while we are timing the construction to be completed at the same time as the rest of our campus, licensing will need to be completed while we move in. Our partner has indicated we should expect an 8-12-week licensing duration.
What is the capacity and ratio per age group?
The capacity per age group and teacher-to-child ratios are summarized below:
# of Classes
The ratios at the center are designed to support one-on-one interactions between the teachers and children, an in-depth understanding by the teachers of the individual needs of each child, and the formulation of consistent caregiving routines based on the teachers’ knowledge of the individual children. These teacher-to-child ratios also support enhanced development, particularly language development.
Can I stop by and visit my child at the center during the day?
The center’s open-door policy welcomes and encourages you to visit the center at any time.
Is food included in the tuition?
Two nutritious snacks and lunch are provided daily and included in the cost of tuition.
What curriculum will be used at the center?
Bright Horizons’ successful core curriculum The World at Their Fingertips will be used at the center. To learn more about the Bright Horizons curriculum please visit www.brighthorizons.com/curriculumguide
How long can my family stay on the waitlist?
Your family’s status on the waitlist will remain intact until space becomes available and is offered to your family. Families may decline an offer and maintain their current position on the waitlist twice. After the second decline, their name is removed from the future list. Families may register again at any time.
Can you provide more background on Bright Horizons?
Bright Horizons was founded more than 30 years ago and partners with more than 1000 employers across the U.S., as well as in Europe, Canada, and India. Their client list includes half of those named to FORTUNE magazine’s “100 Best Companies” and more than three-fourths of the companies on Working Mother magazine’s “100 Best” list. Bright Horizons operates centers in communities, as well as onsite at major employers.
Can I pay to reserve a space at the center without attending?
Bright Horizons will hold your space for up to 30 days as long as tuition is paid during that period. After 30 days, you must enroll your child, or space will be offered to another family on the wait pool.
How soon can I enroll my child if on the waitlist?
The length of time will vary depending on the size of the waitlist and the ages of the children. We will send periodic communications to keep you informed of your status on the waitlist. We will do everything we can to ensure you are offered a space as soon as it becomes available.
How did REI select Bright Horizons?
REI requested in-depth proposals and evaluated a number of potential child care providers. Bright Horizons was selected based on the following criteria:
• Demonstrated ability to operate an accredited child care center
• Experience in developing and operating employer-sponsored centers
• Proven accredited curriculum and an enriched environment with the ability to tailor to the REI brand experience
• Commitment to communication and satisfaction for parents and REI
Will I receive a tuition credit for time away on vacations?
No, the center will not offer vacation credits.
How will enrollment spaces be allocated?
Information sessions for families will be held in Q1 2020, where enrollment interest forms can be submitted. Enrollment will be offered to families in the order that their enrollment interest form is received. If the number of registrations exceeds the enrollment spaces available, you will be placed on a waitlist.
Will the child care center offer enrichment programs?
Yes, REI Child Care Center will provide enrichment activities that will include parents or special guests visiting classrooms to share cultural stories or crafts, field trips to areas of special interest, walks in the neighborhood, or short-term supplemental activities. These stimulating activities and educational experiences are sometimes extended or supplemented by offering enrichment “specialists” with whom Bright Horizons has developed relationships (i.e. dancers, musicians, storytellers, artists, and crafts people in our local communities). These guests are invited to the center to provide classroom demonstrations and presentations within a secure and familiar setting.
How do I enroll my child?
Bright Horizons will launch the enrollment process about six months prior to the anticipated center opening. At that time, if you are interested in enrolling your child, you will need to complete an enrollment interest form and submit a $150.00 nonrefundable registration fee. More information about the enrollment process will be available at the Family Information Sessions which will be scheduled in the 1st quarter of 2020.
Is part-time child care available at the center?
The center will initially offer only full-time care. After the center is open and enrollment is evaluated, part-time care may be added as an option.
Are online tuition payments accepted?
Yes, Bright Horizons will accept tuition payments through the Bright Horizons Online Payment Solution process. The Online Payment Solution is a secure, online payment system that allows the family’s primary payer to do the following:
• Sign up for recurring ACH payments to pay your tuition balance
• Initiate one-time payments
• Manage family and account information in one place
• Go paperless and leave the checkbook at home
While Bright Horizons does not offer payroll deductions they can set your payment due dates to align with REI’s payroll schedule.
How will the center communicate with parents?
To build strong parent relationships based on honesty, respect, and candidness, Bright Horizons has created a strategic approach to ongoing parent communications to ensure that parents are fully informed about their children's center experiences. Bright Horizon teachers work with parents to ensure they are meeting their child's individual needs. With an open-door policy (where parents are welcomed and encouraged to visit as often as they can), a variety of parent communication methods including: daily verbal and written communications; bulletin boards (for posting announcements, special events, monthly calendars, curriculum plans, teachers’ biographies, and weekly menus); Teaching Strategies Gold online portfolios; annual family satisfaction surveys; and mobile daily sheets.
In addition, REI Child Care Center will use a real-time communications feature called My Bright Day, which allows parents to oversee and monitor their children’s daily experiences. Through My Bright Day, parents are able to provide care instructions for the day using their mobile devices. They then receive updates throughout the day regarding their child’s care including sleeping, feeding, and diapering as well as photos and videos of their child engaged in a variety of learning activities. Parents can even configure the app to provide real-time updates on their child’s care or can choose to access this information on demand throughout the day.
What are the qualities and qualifications of the teaching and care staff?
Bright Horizons works to recruit and hire the highest quality teachers. Their staff is nurturers as well as educators who encourage learning through exploration and partnership with parents and are trained to deliver the highest standard of care. All candidates undergo a thorough screening, including an enhanced background check in addition to state-required background checks. All teachers must meet state educational licensing and additional center requirements.
What resources does Bright Horizons offer to families?
Bright Horizons offers many resources to support families’ efforts to nurture children’s development, be actively involved in their education, and balance work/life demands. Bright Horizons Resources can be found at www.brighthorizons.com/familyresources.
What other fees are required?
In addition to the tuition, you will be required to pay the following:
- Registration Fee: A non-refundable registration fee of $150 per child will be due at the time of registration.
- Enrollment Deposit: For enrollments prior to the center opening, an enrollment deposit equal to one month’s tuition will be due when the enrollment offer is accepted. For enrollments, after the center opens, an enrollment deposit equal to the first month’s tuition will be required within five business days of accepting the enrollment offer. The enrollment deposit will be applied to the first month of tuition. If a family chooses not to enroll their child after accepting the enrollment offer, the enrollment deposit will be forfeited.
- Annual Re-Registration Fee: A $75 fee per child will be required each subsequent year to cover annual administrative and licensing fees.
What are Bright Horizons’ safety and security policies?
As guardians of your children, there is nothing more important to us than their safety and protection while they are in our care. Bright Horizons has a series of security protocols and procedures to help guard against any threat to the safety of children and staff, and we perform safety drills on a regular basis. We do everything we can to make our centers safe and secure and to ensure that our teachers and staff are well-trained to protect children in the case of emergency.
Access to the center:
• The center entrance will be locked and require badge access at all times. Families are not allowed to share security badges, even with people who are pre-authorized to pick up their children.
• Center policies prohibit families and staff from holding the door open for others they do not know.
• Parents/guardians are responsible for physically checking their child into and out of the center each day. This ensures that each child is safe and supervised at all times, and encourages daily communication between families and staff. A parent/guardian must accompany each child into the classroom and confirm that the child is under adult supervision before leaving the premises.
• We require notice in writing before releasing a child to someone other than those authorized at enrollment.
Safety Drills and Training:
• The center will conduct monthly evacuation drills, regular lockdown drills, and “shelter in place” exercises.
• Emergency supplies are purchased and stored in an area accessible to staff with the ability to relocate if needed.
• All Bright Horizons teachers are trained and well-prepared in the event of an emergency. In addition to safety drills, we regularly review our safety policies and procedures.
• In conjunction with center communications that are sent by email or through My Bright Day, Bright Horizons activates its “Ready to Respond” in the event of an emergency. Parents can call the Ready to Respond line (1-800-420-1970) to find out the status of a center lockdown or evacuation, if unable to reach the center directly.
• Teachers for each age group are responsible for daily safety inspections of their assigned areas and equipment. Defective equipment is removed or repaired to prevent injury. Small toy pieces or other objects that could pose a choking hazard to infants and toddlers are not allowed in areas designated for children under age three.
• For the same reason, children’s personal items such as barrettes, hair ties, earrings, necklaces, and beaded jewelry are strongly discouraged in these areas.
• Due to the risk of choking, the following clothing and accessories are prohibited:
• Outerwear with neck strings, including scarves
• Pants with drawstrings on the waist or bottom that extend more than three inches when tied
• Bibs, pacifiers, and teethers with ties or strings of any kind
• Teething beads, including Amber beads
• When visiting your child’s classroom, please ensure that purses, briefcases, or backpacks are not left within the reach of children.
• Firearms, explosive devices, and other weapons are not permitted on Bright Horizons premises, regardless of any valid permit to carry such weapons.
How are dietary restrictions managed?
Bright Horizons recommends that children with dietary restrictions bring an appropriate snack from home. Any snacks brought into the center must be nut-free.
What is Bright Horizons' process on checking the background of their employees?
Bright Horizons conducts a comprehensive background check on all prospective employees and frequent visitors. The background check consists of a county criminal record check for the past seven years performed in all counties that a person has lived, worked or attended school. In addition to the county criminal search, a sex offender search, OFAC search and a social security verification trace are also conducted. For all location employees, program licensing background checks required by the state are also performed.
Are all staff trained in CPR and First Aid?
All Bright Horizons staff are trained regularly in CPR, even if not required by the state. First Aid is taught as required by state licensing agency/regulations so that you can feel confident that your child is safe and receiving the best care possible at our center.
Where can I learn more about other Bright Horizons locations?
To learn about our other locations, please find a child care center near you.
What is the relationship between Bright Horizons and The Partnership for a Healthier America?
Read more information about this relationship.